The Student News Site of Flintridge Sacred Heart

Veritas Shield

Veritas Shield

Veritas Shield

Echoes of seniors’ wisdom

Seniors+of+the+2023-2024+spring+musical.+Photo+by+Emma+Ancu+%E2%80%9825+
Seniors of the 2023-2024 spring musical. Photo by Emma Ancu ‘25

As part of the seniors’ final show at FSHA, the theater program participates in its annual tradition of senior speeches, which happens behind the scenes amongst the theater program. This tradition is run by the seniors and consists of each senior giving a brief speech to their fellow theater cast and crew, which includes words of gratitude to their peers. Throughout the years, these speeches, which often end with a room full of teary eyes, have been the senior’s special way of thanking their peers for their support and remarking on their favorite memories on the Hill.

“I didn’t tell them they had to do it. It’s a tradition that started before I came here,” Theatre Teacher Ms. Jane McEneaney (Ms. Mac) said.

Generations of theater students have participated in these speeches.

“This is their chance to say thank you to their friends and reflect on how they grow,” Ms. Mac said.

Seniors deliver these speeches to show their thanks for their supportive theater cast, who helped them get through various practices and shows.

“It’s a really big testimony to the family that they created for themselves in the theatre program,” Ms. Mac said.

Every FSHA athletic team has a senior night in its schedule: this is the night when seniors on each team are recognized for their contribution to the team out on the field with their families present. The athletic team’s senior night is different from the theater program’s speech night since, in theater, the speeches are private between the members of the cast.

“When I hear the speeches, it makes me really sad, but it’s also rewarding because it shows all the hard work we put into the process,” Abbie Hardy ‘24 said.

These speeches are a way for seniors to share their favorite memories on the hill – and inadvertently inspire the freshmen on the cast to start planning their own Senior speeches.

“I started to get ideas of what to say and the wise things I liked hearing when I was younger. I want to say those things to the underclassman now,” said Abbie Hardy 24’.

Senior speeches are also a way for the seniors to give advice to their fellow underclassmen.

“I feel like I never made connections with upperclassmen until I did theater here,” Hardy.

Most significantly, however, the speeches are a final goodbye for seniors and their cast and crew members.

“By the end, everyone’s crying, and we have to redo everyone’s makeup,” said Ms. Mac.