The Student News Site of Flintridge Sacred Heart

Veritas Shield

Veritas Shield

Veritas Shield

Taking a bite into the Tolog Cafe

Seniors Ava Barraza, Maya Oktanyan and Abby Hardy pictured enjoying their food during lunch. Photo by Alina Perez ’24.

Do the lines seem a little longer at the Tolog Cafe this semester? Well, it’s not your imagination. Sales at the cafe have been surging. 

According to Food Services Director Omar Rivera, this is due to the Culinarts team’s commitment to menus that feature both new items, like vegetable dumplings and ice cream sundaes, along with perennial favorites like mozzarella sticks and spring rolls.

Mozzarella sticks, with their crispy coating and warm, chewy center, are often enjoyed with classic marinara or a ranch dip.

“I love the spring rolls. The best thing about them is the sweet and sour sauce which you can dip the roll into. I always ask for extra. I can never get enough,” Grace Adair ‘26 said. 

Chelsea Thomas ‘25 and Grace Adair ‘26 both savor the chicken caesar wrap served at lunchtime—a combination of chicken, lettuce, and caesar dressing wrapped in a tortilla.

“Instead of getting a salad, it [the caesar wrap] is much easier to eat. I feel like it is more filling and will keep me going for the day,” Thomas said. 

A crowd-pleaser at the new 1:45 break is milk tea boba. Natalie Esmailian ’27 considers this drink a perfect pick-me-up after a full day of classes, helping her power through the final session.

“I grab it every time they have them down at the Cafe,” Esmailian said.  “It gives me energy when I am tired and pushing through the day.”

Tologs also relish simple delights like crunchy grapes and Saida’s classic chocolate cookies. The top pick for Bella Vargo ‘24 is even simpler: white rice.

“A little bit of soy sauce, and salt and pepper packet and you have yourself possibly one of the best dishes here at FSHA,” Vargo said.