Editorial: Take care of yourselves, Tologs

Inside+her+spring+2020+classroom%2C+Sam+Godinez+20+basks+in+the+light+of+her+laptop+and+phone.+

Nikki Godinez

Inside her spring 2020 classroom, Sam Godinez ’20 basks in the light of her laptop and phone.

As the pandemic of the coronavirus rages on, in order to quell the dissemination, many schools, including ours, have taken drastic measures. At Flintridge Sacred Heart, first we postponed St. Paddies with Daddies and the Mother-Daughter luncheon and cancelled the sophomore retreat. These disruptions caused a huge wave of anxiety and disappointment for Tologs. 

Then, on March 13, Flintridge Sacred Heart suspended classes on campus. While the school will shift to online classes through spring break, being on campus to learn and socialize will not be part of the high school experience. 

While some students look forward to cozying themselves up in their homes, many Tologs feel discouraged, frustrated and scared. 

We understand we must be flexible with precautionary changes, as public health is the first priority, but losing the sense of community that we get from Flintridge Sacred Heart hurts. The experience of being on campus to eat lunch with friends and say hi to classmates in the hallway and crack jokes during class adds life to our stressful days. 

“I’m going to miss my friends but also my other classmates whom I’m not super close with. School is the one place we’re all guaranteed to be together, and it’s hard because I actually like going to school and seeing my peers and teachers every day,” Katrina Manaloto ‘20 said. 

For many, being at home during the school day might complicate their schedule or family dynamic. Online classes, which have received flak for the questionable quality of Google Meet, bring about other concerns, such as having to stay cooped up in your room all day or be with your parents 24/7. 

“Three other people in my immediate family have school online, too, so that’s going to definitely be a problem. Things will conflict, and my parents are thinking of having a more structured, monitored lifestyle, because I will be spending the day online. I’m going to miss being with my friends and having a good time at school,” Izabel Mah y Busch ‘20 said. 

Seniors are especially anxious and concerned, not only because they might miss out on prom and the physics regatta on the Hill but because colleges nationwide have cancelled admitted student events and preview days. 

“I feel so bad for all the girls who haven’t visited their colleges yet. I applied for an early decision, so I found out earlier and got to visit briefly. But admitted students day, which is cancelled now, was one of the things I was looking forward to,” Meghan Sullivan ‘20 said. 

The consensus seems to be that missing out on the things that Tologs have been looking forward to have left seniors feeling deflated. 

“I just wanted to share those last few moments that we’d have together, and now that’s cut short. It’s important to cancel, but I feel like we’ll lose that beautiful energy that surrounds the seniors now that we are online and so distanced,” Lilian Welwood ‘20 said. 

In order to continue the sense of community that permeates our student body, the Veritas Shield recommends keeping a positive attitude and staying in touch with friends. While you might see your friends on the screen of Google Meets, those knowing looks, inside jokes and funny nudges typically found in class and in the halls won’t be able to happen. The chaos and anxiety over this pandemic can cause your friends to be stressed and overwhelmed, so the Shield recommends starting a group chat to keep everyone on the same, positive page. Even for the people you aren’t best friends with, it only takes a second to send a text and bring a smile to a fellow Tolog’s face. 

With all the commotion and confusion surrounding what will happen next in the world and our community, don’t forget to take time for yourself. Whether your self-care is meditation, journaling, bubble baths or snack breaks, don’t forget to breathe and keep your wellness in check. We can pick up new hobbies like painting, knitting (with KWAV as inspiration), taking  YouTube Masterclasses, writing a book, keeping a bullet journal, reviewing movies, making TikToks, designing clothes or getting that pre-summer workout in. Stay present in all the good moments that will surely come your way, even if they are laughs from TikToks or that new Netflix show you are going to binge. This transition to online school will soon be over, but, for now, all we can do is stay calm, stay connected and keep good hygiene.